Thursday 5 May 2011

A More Testing Time

Cricket commitments during exam time generally mean one or the other will suffer. I appreciate this as well as anyone, having sneaked out of study periods during my A Levels to face bowling machines.


I am organising training schedules in preparation for the Americas U19s division one competition, taking place in Florida. As a reader of this blog, it will come as no surprise that things are again different in Argentina.


Celebrations start after Argentina U19s win
 the Americas Division 2 in 2010


I was delighted to learn that school had finished well in advance of the competition. I revived a few enthusiastic emails from players stating that they were available to train 'any time'. Great, I thought. time enough to up-skill for the upcoming tournament, which is, in effect, the first round of qualifying for the Under 19s World Cup. I replied, but silence fell across the internet, until a week later when the very same players contacted me to say they were now unable to train because they still had exams to complete. It seems the school calender only finishes when you pass your exams; or rather if you pass your exams.


Bugger. I thought. But not to worry. Being the caring, holistic coach I am, I expressed the importance of school work - at least until the exams are over.


Three weeks passed. Another phone call from the players in question. Exams are over and they are finally ready to fully commit all their energy, effort and concentration to their cricket. Fantastic, I think. Less time than I would have liked, but time enough to work on improving the basics and have some fun.


One week later the phone rings again. The players in question will not only not be able to train in advance of the tour, they will now not be able to come on the trip at all. It turns out the players had not quite made the required mark for the second time and must retake the exams but this time the re-retakes coincide with the tour dates.


As bad as it is for the team, it's now even more dire for the players in question. This is the last chance saloon. To fail a third time would mean repeating the year. And the irony of it all? These players are the oldest, most experienced and best in the squad. This means that the Argentina Under 19s squad are heading stateside with an average age of 15.4 which must be the youngest under age party in cricket history.


Bring it on.........  

No comments:

Post a Comment