Wednesday 16 March 2011

Cricket Kit in Argentina

Buying kit in a cricket-playing nation is relatively straightforward. It means going to a sports shop. Buying it online. And waiting for it to be delivered. Simple.

Buying kit in Argentina is not so simple. You will not find a cricket shop anywhere in South America. Plus, any new product that makes it into the country which has a value of over US$300 is liable to 50% tax. Cricket balls are never sent through the post. The last time 12 brand-new Kookaburras arrived in Buenos Aires, customs officials had no idea what they were so cut each ball in half to check for drugs or explosives!

Two Kookaburras which have seen better days

But forget the balls. During my time here I have come across the best bat ever made, in terms of price, durability and performance. The brand is 'Gymkhana' and apparently it is made in Yorkshire. It must be 25 years old, and is used by every youth in every net session at Belgrano Athletic Club. It bows the wrong way and with the twine around the handle long since gone, the rubber grip is all there is. And it still goes like a gun.

Some gems from the Belgrano Athletic kit bag including the legendary Gymkhana bat

So what happens if your bat breaks with no bat maker to mend it? And when gaffer, sellotape and fiberglass no longer holds? Argentine cricketers don't give up on their lumber. They find a 'third way'.

I first noticed this method when lifting a random bat to demonstrate a forward-defensive shot. The bat picked up unlike anything i'd come across. What could this be, I thought? New bat technology? A different perimeter-weighting perhaps? Closer inspection showed that there were screws in each edge holing a should-be fatal crack together. I'm not sure this would pass the MCC's laws on bat regulations, but I was cheerfully informed that it can add months to the life expectancy of any bat. In any condition. From any era.

4 comments:

  1. augusto mustafa17 March 2011 at 06:32

    toby i remember very well the case of the screws, you were teaching me.
    great article hope someone take care about this and do something.
    saludos
    augusto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Toby. I had a GN Powerspot in 1985 which took a hell of a beating during my last year at school, as you can imagine. When I got home to Low Row in Swaledale I joined Reeth CC to play some 'village'. I was run out with my first ball at my new club after a bottom edge finally split the willow. I showed it to my Dad who had experience with glues and composites from his career as a powerboat racer. He duly screwed and glued it back to health and I went out and scored a memorable 100 coming in in the 9th over of a 20/20 cup match, the extra weight at the base proving perfect for clubbing the ball straight down the ground. The bat continued to produce the goods for a couple of seasons more and the screws were only discovered after one of the 6 poked through the tape one day. Ahhh those were the days. As I write this West Indies need 40 off 79 balls and 6 down. Come on lads!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyable stuff, Toby. As someone who grew up just down the road and knows the ground well, I particularly liked the story of the Teddington lock-in.

    With the publicity that Afghanistan have had you get the feeling that there's just a bit more awareness of the associate nations among cricket followers around the world, and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. disappointed that the SS Jumbo in the club lock up did not get a mention...no screws in that baby !!!

    ReplyDelete