Sunday 2 January 2011

Defecting Cricketers in South America - January 2010

Although 90% of the cricketers in Argentine national squad are born and bred in Argentina it is enviable that there will be the odd player who is an ex-pat you has qualified through residency. England have Kevin Pietersen, the West Indies have Bredan Nash and Argentina have Gary Savage from South Africa and Ryan Butta from Australia. Each player has been patient to qualify for selection.

Gary Savage - South African Argentine

Ryan Butta an aggressive seam bowler who has played grade cricket in Sydney in the past thought long and hard before defecting to play for Argentina.

Here is his letter to Tim Nielsen informing him of his decision to turn his back on the Baggy Green in favour of the Baggy Blue.

Dear Tim,

I am writing to advise you that I am declaring myself unavailable for selection for the Australian Test, One Day or Twenty20 teams. Having grown up idolising the Baggy Green it is obvious that these words I write are tinged with some regret. However, I do feel that I am crossing a cricketing threshold and entering an exciting new phase of my career.

After plying my trade in grade cricket in Newcastle, Sydney and Brisbane, my skiddy medium pacers and hard hitting lower order batting have now found a home in the Southern Cone of South America.
Skiddy medium pacer Ryan Butta - Australian Argentine

I moved to Argentina in 2007, looking more to chase tail than advance my international cricketing career but things have worked out well for me here and I believe that my cricketing future now lies with Cricket Argentina.

I debuted earlier this week against Bermuda and felt instantly at home in International Cricket. Failing to be picked for UNSW seconds had left a lot of doubts in my mind but when I crossed the boundary and entered the international arena I knew I belonged. I think my figures of 1-19 off 10 probably leave a little bit of egg on the face of some of your selectors, the self same selectors that not that long ago thought that Mick Lewis was an international cricketer. But Tim, I digress and now is not a time for bitterness but for joy.

I hope you accept this notice as the final word on the matter. I do not wish to be hounded down with counter-offers and lucrative sponsorship deals. I am on a very good package here with a lot of benefits and in return they ask only that I turn up on time and sober. I have made a commitment to the Baggy Blue and I intend to stick to it. 

Best of luck for the rest of the South African series and maybe we can squeeze in a beer at the next World Cup.

Yours in cricket, 

Ryan Butta

No comments:

Post a Comment